One second can change your life.

What happened?! :
My parents and I had just picked up Trevor from the airport returning straight from Afghanistan.We stopped at IHOP on the way home. Once home, my parents decided to take the van into the shop so it would be functional for our week of visitors and activities. My dad in the little Chevy metro was following my mom in the van. She turned around a bend and a few moments down the road, she received a phone call saying my dad was in an accident and was seriously injured.
Long story short, he was in a head-on collision. I watched as they cut him out of the car. The image of MY DAD pinned in the car with his left arm hanging out of the back door in such a freaky way will haunt me for a long time, but I was very calm as I kissed his head and told him I loved him just before they life-flighted him to the hospital. The five arm fractures (which were so bad, his bones were protruding through his torn skin) and the BADLY bruised nerve were the worst of his injuries. The doctors put plates and screws in his upper and lower left arm during his first surgery. He was told this might make it difficult to get through security at the airport. He also had a collapsed lung which required a surgical procedure (without anesthesia) and they kept a tube in for a few days. (That's two surgeries.) He had a torn/ruptured spleen which they almost took him in for surgery, but thankfully his internal bleeding and oozing stopped in a few days. He had to get blood transfusions. He had eight broken ribs (six of which are flailing, or free floating). He also had breaks and fractures throughout his feet, his knee, his hip, a pelvic fracture, and numerous cracks in his bones, bumps, and bruises.
They don't expect him to be anywhere near what he was for a full year. But if you know my dad, he will break all the records and heal faster than anyone believed possible. He is very lucky to be alive, but I also can't help but think about how lucky I am I still have my dad and my kids still have their grandpa. We love him so much!

What happened?! :
My parents and I had just picked up Trevor from the airport returning straight from Afghanistan.We stopped at IHOP on the way home. Once home, my parents decided to take the van into the shop so it would be functional for our week of visitors and activities. My dad in the little Chevy metro was following my mom in the van. She turned around a bend and a few moments down the road, she received a phone call saying my dad was in an accident and was seriously injured.
Long story short, he was in a head-on collision. I watched as they cut him out of the car. The image of MY DAD pinned in the car with his left arm hanging out of the back door in such a freaky way will haunt me for a long time, but I was very calm as I kissed his head and told him I loved him just before they life-flighted him to the hospital. The five arm fractures (which were so bad, his bones were protruding through his torn skin) and the BADLY bruised nerve were the worst of his injuries. The doctors put plates and screws in his upper and lower left arm during his first surgery. He was told this might make it difficult to get through security at the airport. He also had a collapsed lung which required a surgical procedure (without anesthesia) and they kept a tube in for a few days. (That's two surgeries.) He had a torn/ruptured spleen which they almost took him in for surgery, but thankfully his internal bleeding and oozing stopped in a few days. He had to get blood transfusions. He had eight broken ribs (six of which are flailing, or free floating). He also had breaks and fractures throughout his feet, his knee, his hip, a pelvic fracture, and numerous cracks in his bones, bumps, and bruises.
They don't expect him to be anywhere near what he was for a full year. But if you know my dad, he will break all the records and heal faster than anyone believed possible. He is very lucky to be alive, but I also can't help but think about how lucky I am I still have my dad and my kids still have their grandpa. We love him so much!
4 comments:
Good Heavens! I was going to give you a hard time (like always) about not posting enough, but something tells me you had alot more important things to worry about! I am SOOOOOO glad your dad is going to be okay! Hugs from Utah!
Gives me the Chills reading about this horrific event! Love you guys so much! I do need more pictures of Sydney Grace though,maybe some with her Dear old Dad!!
ha ha
Ambree is so dang cute!
glad that he's doing better & made it! holy cow ... one moment can change your life forever.
Oh my goodness! I'm so glad that he came through the surgeries and all okay and wish him a fast recovery!
Post a Comment