Wednesday, June 4, 2008

To Tell Or Not ?

After people ask us what we are having...a boy or girl, their next question without fail is: "What are you naming her?" Adam and I have a very hard time thinking of and agreeing on names. But here's the question: to tell or not to tell?

When I was pregnant with Caden, we originally liked the name Blaze. We told people that name and would get weird looks, snide remarks, or people would tell us not to use that name ... like they had a say or something. Well, it kinda ruined the name for us. So when we decided on Caden, we also decided NOT to tell people his name until he was born. It's harder for people to tell you they don't like the name when they have a sweet little baby face to go with it. Plus, it was kinda fun leaving it for a surprise. We revealed the name when our baby Caden revealed himself.

So I am just wondering... to tell or not to tell? Tell me what YOU think?

11 comments:

Tasha said...

Tell, please oh please Tell~~ at least tell me:) I promise I won't say anything mean or snide!

Kira said...

Don't tell! I mean, it'd be fun to know ... and just because you don't tell doesn't mean people still won't make comments (ask me about my father's response to Savannah sometime ...), but it's fun having a surprise! And wow that you could figure out a name. We had Hunter's name, but the rest have been during delivery kind-of name picking. :)

L. said...

Absolutely don't tell!! We had Claire and Izzy all picked out and wouldn't tell anyone till they were born... (we actually told Greg's sister since she was going to be gone on her mission when they were born, but she swore not to tell anyone....). I agree that people think it's their business to tell you how to name your kids - and it's definitely not!

Tobi said...

Mum's the word. I say don't tell anybody. My sis in law always makes up some outrageous name and then goes around telling anyone who asks that they are naming their baby Mortimer. It's pretty comical to see people's faces. You could always say you are naming her Wanda Willamina...

With my daughter Cora you would have thought my whole family got a vote in what to name her. My side of the family hated the name Cora. They said it was an old lady name and she was going to be born with a walker and gray hair. They wanted me to name her Cara. Cara is only letter away from Cora people!

By the way I love your pretty new background!

Angel said...

don't tell! well, except for me of course. really, keep it a secret because no matter what it is someone wont like it and they won't hold back in telling you because they will think it is still early and maybe they can get you to change your mind. man, people are so sly...especially family!

Whit said...

We had that all the time with Kael's name. My father in law told me flat out he HATED that name. (secretly made me want it more!!!) You have to decided what you think is best. We tell people, and I'm to the point I could care less what anyone else thinks. It's my child! It would be fun to know what you are thinking but either way you just do what you want to do. I'm excited for you!

the buff and stuff said...

people still give us funny looks about our girls names even when though we have their faces to go with it. they look at us as though we didn't know that the names riley and peyton were originally for boys. p.s. so jealous that you'll have one of each!

Anonymous said...

Well, don't tell me, cause you know I get all excited and tell everyone! I am happy either way! I have some great idea of what not to name her. I have some very memorable students who I wouldn't want to be reminded of....Evan for one! But I will love her anyway.
I had a boy named Blayze and he was the sweetest boy! That would have been a great name too!
Diane

Jen said...

Don't tell!!! I am a firm believer that you should keep the name to yourself. Remember Charlotte's secret baby name in Sex and the city? I kept Taegan's name to myself because her original name, Skylar was not well received (I still think it's cute) Same with Dax....

Jess said...

I WANT TO KNOW!!! I promise I won't tell :)

Memories captured by Shelly said...

LOL! We got many strange looks as well with telling people we were naming our son Mathias. But you know what? Who cares what anyone else thinks seriously? If you guys like the name, that is all that matters. And soon enough, their names fit their personalities. My family is known for Picking odd names though...I just don't let it bother me or affect my choice in the long run!

Poof.

 I wanted to start a blogging again for some time now, but I just  didn't  know where or how to begin.   I know I kinda just disappe...